Monday, February 14, 2011

Fraidy Cat

Have you ever wondered why people smoke? Why they drink? Why, in a world filled with such beauty and wonder, do people choose to drown themselves in a pool of their vomit?

Some time ago, I started my journey down the rabbit hole, not knowing whether I would be able to find my way back. College, I thought! The place where I can finally be whoever I want to be, and do whatever I want to do! A place with limitless possibilities! So I indulged myself.

A couple of drinks here, a couple of drinks there, and before I knew it, I was lost.

When you place a bottle of alcohol in front of someone like me, someone plagued by his insecurities, and almost no discernible willpower, it is a definite recipe for disaster. That is the beauty of alcohol. It exaggerates the pain to an extent that it eventually numbs the mind. Until you can see the pain, and touch the hurt, without actually being a part of it. The elusive elixir. The secret of life. Or so I thought.

A dull knife does not cut, but it sure does bruise. And soon the bruise was worse than the cut I feared. I realized that pain, just like everything else, is relative. It all depends on your perception of the events that took place. Your take on the play that is your life.

However, in the end you can overcome anything. As the saying goes, there is no mountain so high, nor a river so wide that you cannot cross. It is just a matter of bypassing those initial obstacles, and everything else is just a cruise (albeit, a rather bumpy one).

Uh.... One for the road??

3 comments: